Monday, May 5, 2008

Hyannis, MA

Crossing Bourne Bridge into Cape Cod is exhilarating because 1) the bridge is so tall at it's center, I think I saw Provincetown, and 2) the descent from the highest point back to ground level is something like the final seconds of Splash Mountain (steep, fast). I shoot into Hyannis, find my way to Main Street and pick up a lobster roll. Today is Cinco de Mayo, Corona's are $1, so I go for one. Okay, two. The subsequent buzz tricks me into buying a pair of boat shoes. 


After, I find the dock and go talk to a nice old timer, Bernie, who sells the tickets for the ferry to Nantucket. We talk for a while about the Cape, then and now. Turns out Bernie's uncle and John Kennedy were golfing buddies at the local country club. Bernie suggests I go check out the JFK museum in town, then catch the 3:15 to Nantucket. I go with it. 


The museum is mostly old black and whites and I get totally lost in them. One is JFK and a young John Jr. in the back of a sailboat making silly faces for the camera. The caption is a Kennedy quote: "There are three things in life which are real: God, human folly and laughter. Since the first two are beyond our comprehension, we must do what we can with the third." 


Walking Hyannis on a cloudless 70 degree day, it seems this would be a good place to laugh, unwind, and forget about the heavy stuff (say, the ever present threat of nuclear conflict with the Soviets) for a while...


I lose track of time and miss my ferry.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful, love the quotation and missing of the ferry!