Friday, May 9, 2008

Miami, FL

Friday morning, South Beach, cafe con leche at News Cafe on Ocean. The scene is very Miami... Palm trees, art deco, linen. Spanish and samba in the air. And my god, is it humid. 


So this is detour. And I didn't drive (Equinox is resting in the JFK longterm lot). Here because Brother Mike has been floating around the world on a cruise ship for the last 109 days and arrives today into Port of Miami. I go. 


The ship arrives (Born in the USA is playing) and several hundred kids disembark. Families welcome them with signs and hugs and tears. It's a quite a moment. 


Michael Bolton walks by, swear. 


Me: Okay, that was definitely Michael Bolton. 

Dad: What's your favorite song of his?

Me: I guess I sorta like em all...

Dad: You know I'm the same way! I celebrate his whole collection.


We each find this uproarious. 


Mike is back and has stories to tell. Carnaval in Rio, skydiving in Cape Town, snake charming in Chennai, bullet trains in Tokyo. Pretty insane. I'm a little overwhelmed by the bigness of the world and all there is to see. I'll get there, in due time. I'm still trying to get my arms around America. 


Dinner at Devito, and the stories keep coming ("So I'm at this bar in Kuala Lumpur..."). But for all the adventures abroad, he's glad to be back stateside, enjoying family and free enterprise, English menus and iPhones. 


Thousands of miles from our respective addresses, we toast to home. 






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww nuts has been gone forever!!! Glad to see he's home :)

PS The Michael Bolton exchange, hilarious. Miss your dad :(