Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ithaca, NY

Tuesday, 4pm, finally some sunshine. I park it at the Cornell football stadium and Mike and I toss the pigskin for a while. We take turns playing QB and calling out plays from Corona del Sol playbook. 


Down the hill to Ithaca Commons, a pedestrian mall where one can find bums collecting pennies, hippies playing hackeysack and 'Ithaca is Gorges' gear. Mike gets a shirt, I go with a mesh hat, and we take a seat at an outdoor cafe on Aurora. 


I'm a little concerned that if we stay here tonight, we won't make it to Ann Arbor tomorrow, a full 500 miles away. I express this to Mike, who tells me I'm being a little uptight for a guy with nowhere to be until August. He has a point. I put down two margaritas and we check in to hotel with a hot tub. 


We rejuvenate and meet friends in Collegetown. Strangers dig our story and buy us drinks, strong ones. Flip cup ensues. We get bounced from Johnny O's and join the red-clad Cornell kids for 2am pizza. 


Wednesday morning, we stop at Taughannock Falls to see what the hype is all about.  Our first gorge, quite a sight. We are in accord, Ithaca is gorgeous. Cornell girls? Not so much. 






No comments: